On Tuesday morning, Empire actor Jussie Smollett had to make an appearance in court to be told that all criminal charges against him have been dropped. He was previously accused of staging an anti-gay attack, thus filing a false police report.
The actor was accused of filing a false report, which lead to 16 felony charges. His attorneys, Tina Glandianand Patricia Brown Holmes, released the following statement after the charges were dropped: ‘It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result. ‘Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends and career.’
When Smollett left the courtroom, he released his own statement, saying: ‘I want to thank my family, my friends, the incredible people of Chicago and all over the country and the world who have prayed for me, who have supported me and who have showed me so much love.’ He continued: ‘I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I’ve been accused of.’
The 36-year old actor reported an alleged attack in Chicago in late January. The openly gay actor said that two men physically assaulted him due to his sexuality and race. According to Smollett, the two men threw an unidentified liquid at him and put a noose around his neck. Sometime later, the police arrested two men who were connected to the attack. But after questioning the two men and further investigation, Smollett was arrested. The police accused the actor of staging the attack for publicity purposes. Now that the charges have been dropped, many questions remain such as: Why was he charged with the 16 felony charges in the first place?
(Gay Star News)